In my last posting, I hinted at changing my blog title because I looped with my class to 2nd grade. Well, I decided against it. I love my blog title and I AM truly blessed [but not quite witty enough to create another title just as cute] so I opted to leave it. Plus, I loved first grade as much as I am loving second grade, so if I ever move back it will fit once again. Also, I was blessed in my first year of teaching last year, so it can apply just the same in that regard as well.
Now to update you on life in second grade. One word.... AWESOME! I adore my students so giving them up last year was super sad [as you can read in my previous Tears post]. Imagine my delight when my administrator called in late July and told me I could loop with them! Talk about a great day! It was so nice knowing the level my students came to second grade on and as I teach our curriculum what lessons I could differentiate based on my teachings last year. It's so fun! Relearning another curriculum is challenging and I am constantly recreating items to suit their growing needs in a new grade, but it's still fantastic. I enjoy challenges and am certainly not bored! I was also asked to move my classroom to be down by the other second grade and to allow the new Kindergarten teacher to move in to my old room, so needless to say THAT was quite a challenge! Somehow, over the years [though they are few] I have managed to amass quite a large amount of stuff! Packing and moving is one thing; UNpacking, redecorating and reorganizing was a whole other issue! But, it's done and I really love my new room! I have 2 extra windows so our room is brighter [and cooler!] and I love the new setup... it feels much larger than the room last year!
So, that's a recap of the past few months since my last post. Here's what happened today...
I was nominated for an award! Seriously... Me?! With my 16 followers!? How fantastic! So first, I would like to say a big "THANK YOU!" to Cathy Hoffart at A Growing Class for nominating me! I see so many other bloggers [with much larger follower numbers] and wonder how that happens.. NOW I KNOW! Woo hoo!
So here is how it works!
1. Post 11 random things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions the nominator set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
4. Choose 11 other blogs with less than 200 followers to nominate and link back to their blogs.
5. Leave a comment on this post if you were nominated so I can learn more about you and see who you nominate too!
MY 11 RANDOMS:
1. I have been married for [almost] 4 years now to an amazing man! Dave and I have been together for a total of [almost] 9 years and met in high school <3
2. We are total dog people! [I converted my hubby!] We have a cute pup named Reagan, and I'm hoping to convince him for another puppy for Christmas!! [fingers crossed!]
3. We live in a small town in northeast Ohio and we LOVE it! We both grew up here with our parents 2 and 6 miles from our house :)
4. I am a HUGE football fan! GO BROWNS! ps.. the Browns beat the Steelers yesterday... WOO HOO!
5. My favorite color is orange, inspired by Rachael Ray. I love her, have her orange cookware, an orange Kitchenaid mixer and an orange fridge! [among other items in the kitchen too :)]
6. I love owls. Long before the big trend, I was decorating and collecting the cute birds. I especially love using owls in my kitchen combined with a bit of a retro feel!
7. I'm a runner. I love running! Though school has made it difficult to find the time, I still love getting out and having my sneakers hit the pavement. I've completed a half marathon and someday my goals are to complete a full marathon and triathlon as well!
8. I don't have any kids... yet. I get asked this question ALLLL the time. Even by my husband! We will have children, but I'm struggling right now because I really feel the Lord guiding me towards adoption. It will be a matter of prayer and discussion as a couple to find what the Lord really has set for Dave and I and our family someday. We shall see :)
9. I love to read. I picked up all sorts of books over the summer and really enjoyed them. When I pick up a good book, I become so interested I can't put it down until it's done! I HAVE to know what happens!
10. My mom is a breast cancer survivor! In October of 2011 we learned her diagnosis. It was scary. Her mom had had and survived it, so we knew she could [and would] too, but she's my mom. She's young. She hasn't been made a grandmother [yet]. Praise God that He kept her in His hands and healed her! I love you Mom!
11. Mustaches are my latest craze. I'm not sure why, except for a joke between a dear friend of mine and myself. But I can't even remember how that started!? I just think they are hilarious. In fact, my husband is turning 30 this December and his surprise party theme? You got it >mustaches!<
QUESTIONS FROM CATHY:
1. What's your favorite TV show (current or past)?
Oooh, I'll have to answer BOTH in the parentheses :) Past: would be Will & Grace! I love that show! I own all 8 seasons on DVD and since we don't have cable at home, if there's nothing on I'll pop one in to watch for fun. I can quote WAAAYYY too many lines in this show! Present: The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother... I would have answered Law & Order:SVU, but since Eliott Stabler left, I can't watch anymore :( it' just not the same. So BBT and HIMYM are my new faves - they are hilarious!
2. What's your ultimate vacation destination?
Though I would love to answer the beach, I can't. Dave would have to be a part of that ultimate vacation and the beach isn't his cup of tea. So a beautiful, secluded cabin in the mountains would be it. We took our honeymoon to Gatlinburg, TN and did exactly that. It was lovely and I can't wait to go back someday :)
3. If you weren't a teacher, what would you be doing?
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I like to do a lot of things. I would probably be a wedding planner though. I LOVED planning my wedding! If I were rich, I'd plan a wedding reception/party EVERY YEAR!
4. Would you save a million dollars or a million children? Why?
A million children. Money is great but I couldn't save a million children with it. It's much more honoring to God to save His precious children than money. How could I not!?
5. If you were a super hero, what would your name be?
probably, Super Tam! :) hahah
6. If you were running for public office, what "educational platform" would you run on?
I don't like politics. It's all a bunch of fluff. So if I tried to answer this question, that's probably all I'd be giving too.
7. What's your favorite thing to cook/bake?
I love to bake cookies. Especially sugar cookies that I can decorate with royal icing to look like adorable animals or something fun :) I also love cooking Italian food. My grandma has a fantastically delish recipe for homemade gnocchi, sauce and meatballs. MY FAVORITE MEAL EVER! along with her potato pizza, and string beans, and stuffed peppers.... [I obviously love to eat! lol]
8. What is one wish you have for your biological children or classroom children?
I wish for them to have Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior so they can sit in eternity with me! :)
9. What advice do you give your students every year?
to be creative... their imaginations are fantastic and I wish I had one as large as theirs still! Use it or lose it, right?!
10. If you were the boss, what one thing would you implement immediately?
I have to agree with Cathy on this one..... casual day, every day!! :)
11. What do you want for Christmas?
I have lots of items on my list this year :) mostly, a GSHP puppy! or another anniversary band for my wedding ring [you know, for the other side!] or some more Ugg boots, or more Rachael Ray Hoot dishes,or a North Face jacket, or stuff for my classroom....I love clothes and shopping, so I'm good with anything really! haha
[drum roll please.....]
It's a variety of teaching websites from different grades, ages and areas... we can all learn something from one another, right!? I should hope so, we teach our students that daily! :)
So, nominees, here are your questions to answer!
1. What is your favorite concept/subject to teach your students and why?
2. If you were given a million dollars tomorrow, would you retire from teaching immediately?
3. What is your favorite TV show currently?
4. What good book have you read lately?
5. If you weren't a teacher, what you be doing?
6. Would you consider yourself an "animal person?"
7. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
8. What is one thing you really love about yourself?
9. Name three things you are thankful for today.
10. Do you like to do laundry? [had to give you a silly one to answer! :)]
11. What's on your Christmas wish list this year?
Well, thanks everyone for reading [I know, it was A LOT! : /] Congrats to the nominees! My search for 11 nominees helped me find many more great bloggers to follow [including them!] and if this task seems daunting, just think of the networking and sharing you can receive through your time! :)
Have a blessed evening...